Announcements Within Our Muslim Community in New England and NY Tri State
1. Fire Damage At Masjid in Framingham, MA
A fire broke out at the Islamic Society of Framingham, MA last week. Alhamdulillah, due to diligent efforts of the Framingham Fire Department, the fire was brought under control quickly, and no one was hurt in this fire. However, the masjid’s kitchen area and sister’s area have suffered extensive damage. As a consequence of this fire damage, our masjid is not permitted to conduct its regular activities like Jummah salat, daily salats, Quran classes, etc. cannot be conducted until the place is renovated and necessary permissions are obtained from town authorities. This puts serious constraints on community activities and we are exploring options to restore normal activities at the earliest. As a temporary arrangement, the church at 17-19 Concord St. has graciously given us permission to use their premises for Jumuah Salah. Any assistance is appreciated, please contact Imam Mushtaq Ahmad or Fareed Siddiqui, phone (508) 879-3800, Web: www.islamicsocietyframingham.org
2. Who Is The Nut Behind The Anti-Islam Movie?
The Associated Press was first to report that it had reached the filmmaker of the anti-movie who said he was an Israeli-American real estate developer from California who had made the movie by raising $5 million from wealthy Jewish donors. It gradually emerged that the man, who went by “Sam Bacile,” was using an alias. The film, tied to U.S.-based Christians with extreme anti-Islam views, was produced on a low budget in southern California using actors who were apparently unaware of the film’s ultimate purpose.
NBC News reports that one key figure behind the anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims,” blamed for sparking riots and protests in the Middle East is a 55-year-old Egypt-born Coptic Christian man living in the Los Angeles. His name is Nakoula Basseley Nakoula who is on probation after being convicted of financial crimes, also was twice sentenced to jail on drug charges in the late 1990s, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office said. Court records show that Nakoula was convicted on federal fraud charges in Los Angeles in 2010. He was arrested yesterday for questioning by FBI.
Cindy Garcia, an actress in the film, told CNN that the original script did not include a Prophet Mohammed character. She said she and other actors complained that their lines had been changed. The 79 other cast and crew members said they were “grossly misled” about the film’s intent. Garcia was horrified when she saw the end product, and when protesters in Libya killed four U.S. Embassy employees. “I had nothing to do really with anything,” she said today. “Now we have people dead because of a movie I was in. It makes me sick.”
3. Muslim Organizations Condemn Killing of US Ambassador Naseema Khan, President of the Islamic Council of New England (ICNE) together with Mazen Duwaji and Dr. Abdul Cader Asmal issued the statement, “ICNE joins the Muslim population in the area and the peace loving people around the world to condemn the act of violence that resulted in the brutal murder of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and other US diplomats on Tuesday in Benghazi, Libya. Just as denigration of any religion or profanity against its leader is outrageous and beneath human dignity, a violent reaction and indiscriminate victimization of innocent people is also highly repugnant in a civilized society. Islam is absolutely and unequivocally against such a reckless behavior and demands that the culprits of such offenses be brought to justice. The Council also wishes to extend its most sincere condolences to the families of the victims.”
Naeem Baig, Vice President for Public Affairs for Islamic Circle of North America issued a press release, “ICNA strongly condemns the violent attacks on American embassies in Egypt and Libya. Nothing is worth the cost of a human life, and we firmly believe that there is no honor or faith in committing such violence. We extend our deepest condolences to the families of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and the other three American personnel at this tragic time. The Prophet was a man of peace and mercy; to engage in such violence and senseless killing is to truly defile his legacy.”
The Islamic Society of North America held a press conference to condemn the murder of US diplomats in Libya and the attack on the US Embassy in Cairo. ISNA President Imam Magid was joined by senior religious leaders and Libyan Ambassador Ali Suleiman Aujali, who together mourned the loss of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and other Americans. Imam Magid delivered this statement, “The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) unequivocally condemns the killing of US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens, and his staff and condemns the attack on US Embassy in Cairo. Although we believe that this video is hateful and bigoted, this could never be an excuse to commit any acts of violence whatsoever.”
Upcoming Events in New England and Beyond
1. Friday, Sept 14, 2012 “Importance of Istigfaar” Rajab AbouBakr, the past President of Islamic Center of Sharon will be presenting this talk. Please feel free to bring your family, relatives and friends to our educational program. The program is geared towards enhancing your knowledge of Islam and giving you a chance to meet with old and new friends.
Time: 7:00pm-9:00pm Place: Islamic Center of Sharon, 74 Chase Dr., Sharon, MA 02067
Contact: Masjid phone 781-784-0434
2. Friday-Sunday, Sept 14 -16, 2012
“11th Annual Father and Son Retreat”
Ali Ibn Abu Talib (ra) said, “The child has a right on the father, while the father too has a right on the child. The right of the father on the child is that the latter should obey the former in every matter except committing sins of Allah Ta’Ala. The right of the child on the father is that he should give him good training (upbringing, Adab, technical, etc.) and teach him the Qur’an.” The retreat also includes activities such as swimming, basketball, soccer, boating, workshops, team building, hiking, challenge course, campfire dars, cabin accommodations, halal meals and more. Fee for 3 days and 2 nights, Children and Adults $125.00 per person. Registration includes cabins, all meals, all activities and all workshops. Organized by Masjid Al-Islam & Masjid Madina, CT.
Time: 9:00am-9:00pm Place: Camp Hazen YMCA, 204 West Main Street, Chester, CT 06412
Contact: Sa’id Abdush Shakur 860-724-3098, Rayhan Asad 413-787-0716
3. Saturday, Sept 15, 2012 “Language of the Quran” Presented by Sherif Shabaka. He is the Director of the Ella Collins Institute Arabic program at Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center. Organized by the Outreach Community and Reform Center.
Time: 7:15pm –9:00pm Place: OCRC, 22 Pleasant St., 3d Floor, Malden, MA 02148
Contact: Imam Hamid Bourote, Masjid phone 781-322-0864
4. Sunday, Sept 16, 2012 “Navigating Hajj “ Presented by Mario Moreira on how to prepare for this sacred journey, how to navigate your way once you are there, and how to bring your journey to a successful conclusion. Dr. Giath Reda, Imam and Director of Religous Affairs at the Wayland Masjid will also join him in answering questions about the logistics, requirements and performance of the Hajj. Join us for this beneficial event whether you are going for the Hajj or not this year, it will provide a wealth of information about this Islamic pillar. Time: 11:45am – 12:45 noon Place: Islamic Center of Wayland, 126 Boston Post Road, Wayland, MA 01778
Contact: Aijaz Baloch, Masjid phone 508-358-5885
5. Sunday, Sept 16, 2012 “MCCS Annual Meeting“ Muslim Community Support Services (MCSS) is a local community support volunteer organization dedicated to providing emergency support to the local needy in the New England region since 1999. MCSS Board invites you to join its team of volunteers. If you would like to volunteer or would like to know more about various functions of MCSS, please consider attending the MCSS Annual meeting. Board members will be elected and duties will be assigned to volunteers at this meeting. Also, MCSS Board will appreciate your feedback. Time: 4:00pm-6:00pm Place: Quincy Islamic Center, 470 South Street, Quincy, MA Contact: Muhammad Tasleem, 1-970-4MCSSNE, Web: www.mcssnewengland.org
6. Tuesday, Sept 18, 2012 “Hajj Workshop” Presented by Imam Muhammad Sayanvala. Come join us for this beneficial talk on performing Hajj. All are welcome. Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm (Margrib to Isha) Place: Islamic Center of Burlington, 130 Lexington Street Burlington, MA 01803 Contact: Masjid phone 781-229-0336
7. Saturday-Sunday, Sept 22-23, 2012 “Quranic Supplications” Surat al-Baqarah, Ayah 186 – And when My servants ask you, concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be rightly guided. Qur’anic supplications are often times brushed-over, but their construction and organization contain tools to humility while asking from Allah. This is a two day class exploring Allah’s lessons on how to ask of Him. Presented by Ustadh Wisam Sharieff. Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm (Margrib to Isha) Place: Islamic Center of Sharon, 74 Chase Dr., Sharon, MA 02067
Contact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmtlht_DgFA&feature=youtu.be; http://www.aqlonline.com/enroll/
8. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012 “United Against Poverty Conference” Join us for a beneficial conference. Speakers include Shaikh Hamza Yusuf, Imam Siraj Wahhaj, Shaikh Yasir Qadhi, Imam Zaid Shakir, Imam Suhaib Webb, Shaikh Abdullah Hakim Quick, Chris Hedges, Imam Mohamed Magid, Sr. Yasmin Mogahed, Shaikh Abdullah Adhami, Dr. Fatimah Jackson, Sr. Asma Hanif and Shaikh Imadudeen Abu Hijleh. Also available at site – halal food, bazaar, deaf interpretation. Donate generously for Masjid Al-Islam fundraiser at UFC event. Tickets $35, Students $25, children $10. Time: 10am-10:00pm Place: Stamford Hilton, 1 First Stamford Place, Hilton, CT 06902 Contact: Masjid Al-Islam, CT 203-777-8004, Dr. Ayaz Hyder 203-909-3292, www.unitedforchange.com
9. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012 “18th Annual CAIR Leadership Training Conference and Banquet” Our theme this year is “Upholding Our Constitution, Defending Our Faith,” and our banquet will feature the Rev. Al Sharpton, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and Imam Siraj Wahhaj as keynote speakers. Comedian Azhar Usman will provide entertainment. The conference will feature workshops from top trainers in their fields in the following areas: Answering tough questions about sharia; Coalition building: success stories/best practices; Strategies for challenging anti-Islam legislation and campaigns; Maximizing the Muslim vote in the 2012 elections, Community emergency preparedness. Banquet attendees will also meet the winners of CAIR’s 2012 Rosa Parks Civil Liberties Scholarship and 2012 National Muslim Community Service Award. Tickets Conference only $169, Banquet only $69, Conference and Banquet $199. Time: 9:00am-9:00pm Place: Marriott Crystal Gateway, 1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202 Contact: CAIR phone 202-488-8787, www.cair.com/banquet
10. Sunday, Sept 30, 2012 “MUNA Civic Engagement Banquet” Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA) welcomes you to their banquet. Keynote Speaker and Recipient of MUNA Award of Excellence is Muslim Congressman Andre Carson. Other speakers include Dr. Sulayman Nyang (Islamic Scholar from Howard University), Ms. Loretta E. Lynch (US Attorney for Eastern District of NY), Ms. Fatima Shama (Commissioner Immigrants Affairs, City of NY) and more. Tickets $100 per person, $1,000 for a table of 12 persons. Time: 6:30pm-10:30pm Place: Marriot Hotel, LaGuardia Airport, Queens, NY Contact: MUNA 718-277-7900 or 718-848-8952, Web: www.muslimummah.org
11. Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 “27th Annual Islamic Conference of New England” The theme of this year’s conference is Resecuring the Future of Muslims in America – Struggle of Younger Generation in the Current Environment. Speakers include Imam Suhaib Webb, Imam Khalid Griggs, Attorney Janice Bassil, Attorney Shannon Erwin, Attorney Kenneth Finn and more. Time: 9:00am-9:00pm Place: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA 01609 Contact: Naseema Khan 508-393-6066, Dr. Ihab Dabbagh 508-887-3285 www.islamiccouncilne.org