Announcements Within Our Muslim Community
1. Your Vote Counts. Register To Vote Before The Deadline
The Muslim vote is crucial to select the next President of US in the November elections. But before you can vote, you must register as a voter. Find out the deadline in your state and be sure to register to vote before the deadline. Here are some of the deadlines for registration to vote – Massachusetts Oct 17, Connecticut Oct 30, Rhode Island Oct 6. For more info, visit http://www.presidentialelection.com/register_to_vote/
2. Petition To Stop Offending the Prophets
We petition the Obama administration to enact a law that prohibits any action or literature that offend prophets of major religions like Moses, Jesus, Muhammad (saw). Such acts offend billions of people, and cause unrest in the world. Furthermore, acts like this contradict the essence of coexistence and peace among humans. Labeling these acts as freedom of speech is similar to labeling murder as freedom of expression! Join us and sign up. We need 25,000 signatures before Oct 17, 2012. Click this link: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/outlaw-offending-prophets-major-religions/94kL1tsN
3. Muslim Counselor Needed At A County Jail
The Worcester Islamic Center, MA has been contacted by Lieutenant Peter Bove of the Worcester County Jail and House of Correction. Lieutenant Peter Dove said “We have dozens of Muslim inmates who have no personal contact with any Islamic spiritual leaders.” They are looking for a volunteer who is willing to counsel inmates. If interested, please at call 508-854-1974 or email email@example.com.
4. Muslim Students Need Help In Building A Driveway The masjid of the Muslim Students Association at Virginia Tech uses the drive way of the adjacent property but that access is being taken away. They are now required to build their own access road (drive way). They have already collected about two-thirds of the target amount and need help with the remaining balance. You can support them by donating online at: www.isnrv.org. For more information, please contact Muhammad Shahriar Kabir Khandaker who is a graduate student, from the department of engineering science & mechanics, Virginia Tech. His phone number is 336-430-0172.
Upcoming Islamic Events 1. Friday, Sept 28, 2012.
“Scientific Miracles of Quran”
Presented by Hafiz Samer Sumadi. Please join us with your family. Dinner will be served after Isha. This time its an Aqiqa dinner provided by Fiza and Iqra. All are welcome. Time: 6:45pm – 9:30pm Place: Islamic Society of Greater Lowell, 131 Stedman St, Chelmsford, MA 01824 Contact: Naushad Sayyed, Masjid phone 978-970-5552, Web: www.isgl.org
2. Friday, Sept 28, 2012.
“Evening of Nasheed”
Come relax and listen to a nasheed performance by our local Naseem Group. All are welcome. FREE event. Time: 7:00am-9:00pm Place: Al-Huda Community, 60 Willow St., Chelsea, MA 02150 Contact: Masjid phone 781-492-0379
3. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012.
“Hajj Webinar by Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi”
Join ISNA’s FREE webinar with renowned Islamic scholar on how to get the best from your Hajj. Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi is also the Chairman of Fiqh Council of North America. Every year, Muslims from all over the world take part in the largest gathering on Earth, pilgrimage to Mecca (Hajj). The Hajj is a religious obligation that every Muslim must fulfill, if financially and physically able, at least once in one’s lifetime. While performing his pilgrimage, Malcolm X wrote, “They asked me what about the Hajj had impressed me the most. . . . I said, `The brotherhood! The people of all races, colors, from all over the world coming together as one! It has proved to me the power of the One God.’ . . . All ate as one, and slept as one. Everything about the pilgrimage atmosphere accented the oneness of man under one God.” Time: 11:00am-12:00noon (EST) Place: Online, to register email your name to firstname.lastname@example.org Contact: Click HERE to attend the webinar
4. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012.
Join us for a presentation by Mufti Mushtaque Ahmad Qasmi. Talk will be in the Urdu language. Mufti Mushtaque is the Imam of the masjid in Framingham, MA. He is a Hafiz, an Alim and a Mufti. He acquired his Islamic education from Darul Uloom, Deoband, India under the supervision of Sheikh ul Hadith Saeed Ahmed Palanpuri. Dinner will also be served after the talk. All are welcome. Time: 6:30pm – 9:00pm (Margrib to Isha) Place: Islamic Center of Burlington, 130 Lexington Street Burlington, MA 01803 Contact: Masjid phone 781-229-0336, Web: www.icburlington.org
5. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012.
“Lecture on Hypnosis”
Presented by Dr. Ahmed Taha who is a certified clinical instructor in hypnotherapy with over 20 years experience as a mental health clinician in both private and public practice in one of the finest psyhiactric hospitals in the world. Hypnosis therapy can be used for alcohol and drug addiction, anxiety and stress, smoke and nicotine accition and more. Organized by the Outreach Community and Reform Center. Time: 7:30pm – 9:30pm Place: OCRC, 22 Pleasant St., 3d Floor, Malden, MA 02148 Contact: Imam Hamid Bourote, Masjid phone 781-322-0864
6. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012.
“United Against Poverty Conference”
Join us for a beneficial conference. Speakers include Shaikh Hamza Yusuf, Imam Siraj Wahhaj, Shaikh Yasir Qadhi, Imam Zaid Shakir, Imam Suhaib Webb, Shaikh Abdullah Hakim Quick, Chris Hedges, Imam Mohamed Magid, Sr. Yasmin Mogahed, Shaikh Abdullah Adhami, Dr. Fatimah Jackson, Sr. Asma Hanif and Shaikh Imadudeen Abu Hijleh. Also available at site – halal food, bazaar, deaf interpretation. Donate generously for Masjid Al-Islam fundraiser at UFC event. Tickets $35, Students $25, children $10. Time: 10am-10:00pm Place: Stamford Hilton, 1 First Stamford Place, Hilton, CT 06902 Contact: Masjid Al-Islam, CT 203-777-8004, Dr. Ayaz Hyder 203-909-3292, www.unitedforchange.com
7. Saturday, Sept 29, 2012. “18th Annual CAIR Leadership Training Conference and Banquet” Our theme this year is “Upholding Our Constitution, Defending Our Faith,” and our banquet will feature the Rev. Al Sharpton, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and Imam Siraj Wahhaj as keynote speakers. Comedian Azhar Usman will provide entertainment. The conference will feature workshops from top trainers in their fields in the following areas: Answering tough questions about sharia; Coalition building: success stories/best practices; Strategies for challenging anti-Islam legislation and campaigns; Maximizing the Muslim vote in the 2012 elections, Community emergency preparedness. Banquet attendees will also meet the winners of CAIR’s 2012 Rosa Parks Civil Liberties Scholarship and 2012 National Muslim Community Service Award. Tickets Conference only $169, Banquet only $69, Conference and Banquet $199. Time: 9:00am-9:00pm Place: Marriott Crystal Gateway, 1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202 Contact: CAIR phone 202-488-8787, www.cair.com/banquet
8. Sunday, Sept 30, 2012. “MUNA Civic Engagement Banquet” Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA) welcomes you to their banquet. Keynote Speaker and Recipient of MUNA Award of Excellence is Muslim Congressman Andre Carson. Other speakers include Dr. Sulayman Nyang (Islamic Scholar from Howard University), Ms. Loretta E. Lynch (US Attorney for Eastern District of NY), Ms. Fatima Shama (Commissioner Immigrants Affairs, City of NY) and more. Tickets $100 per person, $1,000 for a table of 12 persons. Time: 6:30pm-10:30pm Place: Marriot Hotel, LaGuardia Airport, Queens, NY Contact: MUNA 718-277-7900 or 718-848-8952, Web: www.muslimummah.org
9. Sunday, Sept 30, 2012. “Tribute to Upholding Tradition” Come join us for an eventful evening. Islamic scholarship Al-Hajj Sheikh Imam Salihou Djabi. Other speakers include imam Talib Abdur Rashid who is the Amir of Majlis Shurah NYC, Imam Ashraf Zaman Khan who is the President of ICNA NY, Imam Siraj Wahhaj who is the Amir of MANA and other prominent Muslim leaders. Dinner will be served too. Time: 5:00pm – 9:00pm Place: ICNA, 166-26 89th Ave., Jamaica, NY 11432 Contact: Phone 347-407-6828
10. Sunday, Sept 30, 2012.
“Home of the Heart Tour”
With Allah’s permission, the Dar-us-Salaam community is embarking on a new, bold and exciting phase of its development — to acquire a 66-acre property in Howard County, Maryland which would serve as its new education and community campus. The campus will serve in shaa Allah as a hub for education, community service, and da’wa for Muslims in the region as well as Muslims across the nation. Join us as we build for the future, trusting in Allah and seeking acceptance from Him alone.
Place: Dar-us Salaam Education Ctr, 14196 Frederick Rd, Cooksville, MD 21723 Contact: Omar Smith, masjid phone 301-982-2061, Web: www.homeoftheheart.org
11. Friday, Oct 5, 2012.
“Visit by Governor”
We are very pleased to announce that the Governor of Rhode Island, Lincoln Chafee will be visiting Masjid Al-Islam. This is the first time for any incumbent governor of RI to visit a masjid in Rhode Island. We urge all Muslims to attend this gathering. There will be a time for Q&A with the governor so you may prepare your questions for the governor.
Time: 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Place: Masjid Al-Islam, 40 Sayles Hill Road, N. Smithfield, RI 02896
Contact: Mufti Ikram ul Haq, Imam of Masjid Al-Islam, phone (401) 762-0107
12. Saturday-Sunday, Oct 6-7, 2012.
“Muslim Artists Open Studio”
Come support Muslim artists and their works. United Muslim Artist Association (UMMA) is a Boston based artist guild that is based on the principle of advancing traditional and contemporary Islamic fine art in a framework of shariah-compliance. We are a group of visual artists, painters, calligraphers, photographers who want to use the artist as a bridge for communication and dialogue. UMMA welcomes the public to view and purchase paintings, drawings and other studio crafts. 40% of sales go to UMMA to support Masjid An-Nur and its related activities. This event is held in conjunction to Roxbury Open Studio which is organized by the City of Boston.
Place: 28 Circuit St., Roxbury, MA 02119 (top floor of Masjid An-Nur)
Contact: Abdul Badi, Director of UMMA, phone 617-427-1542 or 617-442-8915
13. Sunday, Oct 14, 2012.
“Young Engineers Robotics Class”
Masjid Al-Hidaya will be offering a Robotics class this year for ages 10 and up, every Sunday at the Masjid. Students will learn the following skills: robot construction and sensor implementation, programming language problem solving, advanced math and science skills and team building skills. Fee $50 per month. All proceeds go to Masjid Al-Hidaya Youth Program.
Time: 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Place: Masjid Al Hidaya, 2339 15th St, Troy, NY 12180
Contact: Owais Memon, email: email@example.com
14. Friday – Sunday, Oct 19-21, 2012.
“MYNA Fall Camp”
The Muslim Youth of North America (MYNA) camp committee invites you to spend a fun-filled, spiritually awakening weekend this fall. MYNA is run by the youth, for the youth and is completely dedicated to strengthening our relationship with Allah and friendships with our fellow brothers or sisters in Islam. Theme for this camp will be “The Oneness of God”, to remind us of the power and mercy of God. This camp will be a great chance for you to make some new friends, listen to amazing speakers, attend awesome workshops, and just have an amazing time! There will be exciting outdoor activities, such as archery and kayaking as well. For ages 12-18 yrs. Fee $140 per person. Organized by Masjid Al-Islam, CT.
Time: All day
Place: YMCA Camp Lincoln, 67 Ball Rd, Kingston, NH
Contact: MYNA website – http://myna.org/newhampshire
15. Saturday, Oct 20, 2012.
“27th Annual Islamic Conference of New England”
The theme of this year’s conference is Resecuring the Future of Muslims in America – Struggle of Younger Generation in the Current Environment. Speakers include Imam Suhaib Webb, Imam Khalid Griggs, Attorney Janice Bassil, Attorney Shannon Erwin, Attorney Kenneth Finn and more.
Place: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA 01609 Contact: Naseema Khan 508-393-6066, Dr. Ihab Dabbagh 508-887-3285 Web: www.islamiccouncilne.org
16. Saturday, Nov 17, 2012.
“4th Annual American Muslim Consumer Conference”
This year’s conference theme is “The New Face of Muslim Consumers”, which will analyze and discuss the market as a group of socially conscious, innovative, and engaged consumers. These are second generation Muslims, majority are born in America and they know how to balance their Muslim identity, their cultural identity and at the same time being an American. For them Halal has to be healthy, socially responsible and appealing. Fee $105 per person.
Time: 9:00am – 6:00pm
Place: DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport, 128 Frontage Road, Newark, NJ 07114
Contact: Faisal Masood, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.americanmuslimconsumer.com